Renew your GB patent or European patent (UK) online.
When to renew
You must renew your patent on the fourth anniversary of when you filed for it. You’ll then need to renew every year near the ‘due date’ – the last day of the month in which you first filed.
Renew up to 3 months before or within 1 month after the due date to avoid late payment fees.
You can renew up to 6 months after the due date but youll have to pay £24 on top of the renewal fee for each extra month.
Renew and pay for your GB or European patent online – when renewal is due, fees, renew by post or phone instead
- your patent number – starting ‘GB’ or ‘EP’
- a debit or credit card, or an Intellectual Property Office (IPO) deposit account
- an email address – you’ll be emailed your certificate of payment
You can renew your patent for up to a maximum of 20 years.
Youll pay any late payment fees when you renew.
Tell the IPO in writing or if you want next years renewal reminder to go to a new address. IPO will send you a reminder letter if you don’t renew by the due date.
Patents you can’t renew online
You can’t renew your patent online if:
- your patent was granted more than 3 years and 9 months after you filed it (known as a late grant) with payment due for multiple years
- it’s a licence of right which allows other people to get a licence for your patent